
This is a picture of a snowflake by Wilson Bentley. He spent his life perfecting techniques to take these pictures so the world could see the beauty of individual snowflakes. I think this quote by Aristotle fits it well.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
I have this posted by my computer at home and in my classroom. It reminds me to be conscious of, to recognize and to enjoy and the beauty in life. Often the beauty is in nature, the smile of a caring friend, or a feeling of peace that fills a troubled heart. Elder Bednar called these tender mercies.
I think excellence and beauty are intertwined. A life of excellence is not always the most traveled or obvious path. I believe excellence to be in the soft voice of a mother who responds in love when frustration would have been her first reaction. It's in finding passion and being true to ones' self. It's in smiling when you want to complain. It's in praying when you want you to cry. It's working when you want to play and play that helps you forget work. It's hours and hours invested in learning a skill. It's loving when you want to be angry. It's sacrificing good for better. It's conscious choices to take the higher road.
I love these two photographs as well. these are by Ansel Adams, another pioneer photographer who worked to make the Lord' beautiful handywork accessible to all....
Happy Mother's Day Mom! Thank you for bringing beauty and excellence into my life my whole life.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Tender merices, little moments, and some thoughts
Posted by Anonymous at 12:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment