BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, April 13, 2009

My Little Tucker


This is my little dog, Tucker. He was born on February 23, 2007. Since I have had him for two years now I thought I would introduce him formally. My Suzie died while I was on my mission and I had missed having a dog since then. After much thinking, researching and looking, I bought Tuck in April 2007. He had a beautiful brindle brother and I couldn't decide between the two. Ultimately his personality was the decision maker.



The first time we took him hiking was to Flatiron. It was a warm day and his little paws weren't used to the heat. He ran from shadow to shadow. We'd pass him and then he'd run to the next shady spot. I think we may have carried him at the end. He loves hiking now and still runs for the shadows.

He and Asia, have been best friends from day 1. Even now he cries when she leaves. He is such a baby!

Escadilla summer 2007


Right after I got my new camera!


This is one of my favorites. It is last Christmas in Lakeside. Elsie loves Tucker and will let him, Asia and Deli (her dog) kiss her all over. She loves all animals for that matter. It was hilarious to watch her with this cat. She dragged it all over the place. I am not so sure the cat was too comfortable when she dragged Oliver over to Tucker. Brandon just about went and bought a cat after watching Elsie with this one.


Last summer was a rough one for Tucker. It started with little sores on his snout. They got worse and worse and new ones began to form on his neck, behind his ears, and in his arm pits. We also noticed a small, pencil eraser sized growth on his testes. I took him to Dr. Hunt at Homstead Animal Clinic in Mesa. He and his staff are great. They love Tucker. they take time to sit with us and be sure I really understand what is going on. Dr. Hunt suspected the sores to be allergy related and put Tucker on an antibiotic and the steriod, prednisone. He suggested changing his diet to an allergy formula... Who knew dog food could be so expensive! The sores improved but not the growth got bigger.

The next time we went in Dr. Hunt SRTONGLY recommended neutering him and doing a scrotal oblation to remove the growth entirely. He didn't think it was cancerous, but it would be better to be safe. Also, with his allergies he shouldn't be bred. This was tough for me. We had planned on breeding tucker and Asia. I called my coworker, Robin, who has dobermins Tucker's age. I felt better after atlking with her. We set the surgery date and as Robin said, it was more tramatic for me than for him. He was up and running in no time.

Tucker's didn't heal well and his sores came back with a vengence so we went back to Dr. Hunt. He said Tucker will probably have to be on some sort of steriod the rest of his life. Although we had tried before, it was time to put my science skills to the test. We switched his dog food back to a sweet potato and fish blend for allergies, gove him not table scraps (he hated this), and gave him baths at least weekly. He was back on predinsone and the antobiotic as well as an antifungal pill. The sores quickly healed and as they did we gradually cut back the steriod dosage and stopped the other meds as he ran out. I've noticed he is itchy after eating red meat--his favorite! Now I give him 5mg of prednisone every few days as needed and bath him often. I am careful about what human food I give him, but did switch back to the Costco brand (lamb instead of chicken) purely for financial reasons. He is doing very well... beter than the orange tree he pulled out of the ground a few weeks ago! Thanks Dr. Hunt and staff!

That's my baby!


0 comments: